Wednesday, May 27, 2009

My Grandma - Glenda Pearl Worthen

My Grandma with my dad

This past Saturday we celebrated the life of a very special woman, my grandma, Glenda Pearl Nielsen Worthen. My grandma passed away Tuesday May 19, 2009, at the age of 89. She was born in Moroni, Utah on October 29, 1919. She married Clive Herbert Worthen on December 3, 1943, in the Manti Temple. They had 5 children, 30 grandchildren and 74 great-grandchildren. The funeral was held this past Saturday May 23, 2009, and it was beautiful. It was a time to say goodbye, but also a celebration of her life. My grandma was an amazing woman. She served 2 full time missions for the church, one at an early age in the Western States Mission, and one later in life to Louisiana with my grandpa. I guess that is where I got my desire to serve my own mission. My grandma had a love for many things: a love of the outdoors, a love for our Savior, a strong testimony of the gospel, our family, and temples. I have many memories of my grandma that I will hold close to my heart. She had a special gift of making you feel like you were her favorite grandchild. Her passing is a blessing as she has lived the past 13 years without her best friend, my grandpa. It is wonderful to think of the two of them together once again, what a wonderful reunion that must have been. I will miss my grandma, but I will never forget the things she has taught me and I will forever hold her memory in my heart. I love you grandma.
.

Here are just a few memories of the day and of my grandma.
.
My grandma's missionary picture

Beautiful flowers - Grandma's Favorite

My family -Product of an amazing woman


4 comments:

Troy and Segi said...

Your Grandma was awesome. Im so glad I got to know her.

Monica said...

She truly lived a life worth celebrating. We are lucky to have had such a wonderful example in our lifes!

Andrea, Mrs. said...

Thanks for sharing. :-)

In case you're interested in reading a tribute written by someone not related to Grandma, this is by a girl who lived down the street from her: http://thelolaletters.blogspot.com/2009/05/tribute.html

Crafty Momma said...

i'm so sorry for your loss! I remember when my gradfather passed away, it was totally unexpected, he ended up dying from an infection after surgery, he looked great afterwards and just went downhill. I still miss him. I had never lost anyone close to me before..and it's funny because 2 weeks later I got pregnant with Delia and I kind of think he had something to do with that, especially since all my doctors say I probably got "lucky" with Delia. You look so much like her!

Karlee (3 years old)

Karlee (3 years old)

Family Sealing August 2008

Family Sealing August 2008

Karlee (6 months old)

Karlee  (6 months old)

Christmas 2012

Christmas 2012