Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Geocache - A modern-day scavenger hunt.

Weekend before last my parents came to town to meet up my dad's cousin and his wife (Wayne & Sandy). They invited us to come along on Saturday to do a little Geocaching. Now I have gone on a couple caches with my dad, so I thought it was a perfect way to spend some time with them. Karlee and I went with them, poor Rob who has been working like crazy missed out on all the fun. Now when I have gone out with my dad, we usually will go try to find 1-5 caches. On this Saturday we went and searched 16 geocaches and successfully found 13 (I believe) - now just between you and me, I probably hit my limit at 6, but these guys were all having so much fun so I went along. Wayne and Sandy are retired and they probably geocache everyday they are on their month long road trips. They have been gone since January and think they said they have found something like 130+ Geocaches on their trip thus far, and have plans to do more each day on their way back home to Wyoming.
Wayne and my dad logging one of the first few geocashes.
Sandy, Wayne, and my dad with the tough geocache.
We went to a couple clever caches, one of which we probably searched for 20 minutes, until we figured it out and found it. Karlee was loving the weather and getting outside. She discovered the beautiful red dirt, and started to bathe in it.
Karlee enjoying the beautiful red Dixie dirt.
Here I am trying to brush off all that 'beautiful' red dirt. (I know I am totally OCD)
Karlee had a good time, infact I think she may have set a personal record for the number of times she was buckled into her car seat (only really fighting me 1-2 times) Karlee was a good sport geocaching.



Karlee with her juice, just chillen.


I thought it would be fun to add to this post the official rules/guidelines to Geocaching. (thank you to the www)
Geocaching (GEE-oh-cash-ing) is a great outdoors recreational activity that's similar to a scavenger hunt. There is a hidden object, and you're given clues and GPS (global positioning) coordinates to help you find it. It's incredibly fun, and becoming more and more popular every day. It's a great way to explore an area, even places you're convinced you know very well. People leaving geocaches almost always leave them in intriguing places that they'd like to share with inquisitive, curious people like other geocachers.
What you'll need:
  • a GPS receiver
  • a pen or pencil (So you can leave a note in the cache to the cache owner)
  • a small trinket (take a trinket out, and put a new one in.)

That's it! It really is a fun tradition to have. I know that when all of the grandkids spend anytime with my dad they are sure to go on a geocache, which is often times one of the highlights of their time together.

2 comments:

Monica said...

Looks like fun - although I think I might have been done after about 5 or 6 also!

Kaye and Jared said...

I would have loved it!! I love Geo-caching. i haven't had much success here in Alaska but am determined still!!

Karlee (3 years old)

Karlee (3 years old)

Family Sealing August 2008

Family Sealing August 2008

Karlee (6 months old)

Karlee  (6 months old)

Christmas 2012

Christmas 2012